Proposed Start Date: Immediately
WHAT IS DISTRIBUTED SATURDAYS?
Distributed Saturdays is a bi-weekly, peer-to-peer blockchain and protocol-agnostic learning fest for both technical and non-technical people of ALL knowledge levels. This learning fest offers several tracks, including 1 to 3 featured learning sessions or workshops, Blockchain 101 + A Blockchain Roleplaying Game or Fresh Angle, Build-a-thon, Peer-to-Peer Learning, and the White Paper Book Club. Distributed Saturdays is a Starfish event held in partnership with SF Ethereum.
WHAT IS STARFISH?
Starfish Mission is a pioneering hub run by the blockchain community for the blockchain community - founded by the Starfish Network. We are dedicated to creating spaces and learning opportunities for the community which inspires us; to change commerce, communication and governance, effectively upgrading the operating system of our world.
Starfish needs a 2 or more person team to manage all aspects of event planning, event marketing and execution for Distributed Saturdays. Responsibilities include:
• Network at blockchain events to learn the ins and outs of the industry, and grow the “Distributed Saturday Session Leader” database of connections for speakers and session leaders for future Distributed Saturday events.
• Decide on and communicate with speakers and session-leaders to figure out availability, goals, schedule, promo materials, content, needs, whether food will be sponsored, etc.
• Communicate with and get feedback from online communities on our Starfish Telegrams for topic ideas, speakers, white paper suggestions, feedback, etc.
• Figure out event schedule, create primary posts, work with event marketing point person to promote on all appropriate channels.
• Set-up for event including, typing up schedule, figuring out learning-track logistics, and printing / posting on rocket board, set-up sign-in and survey iPads, purchase any missing breakfast items, set up breakfast spread, coffee and juice, etc.
• Make sure all speaker and session-leader needs are met on the day of, including projector, large screen TV, and laptop set-up, mics, etc.
• Be aware of new people to the space and make them feel welcome, safe and comfortable; encourage questions; point them to the coffee, breakfast spread and bathrooms; check periodically for people who look lost and that the right people are going to the right events.
• Make announcements at the beginning of the event, including what Starfish is, where to find our events and online communities, upcoming events of note, who to approach if there are any questions, location of each learning track, thank you’s to any sponsors.
• Get to know the people at the event, what their goals are, and whether you can connect them to the right people.
• OPTIONAL: Lead a Blockchain, Bitcoin & Ethereum 101 Class for Non-Technical People and run a blockchain role-playing game or lead people through a “fresh angle”.
• Has a genuine interest in learning about blockchain technology
• Passion for supporting the Starfish blockchain community and what it stands for
• A fast learner with problem-solving skills
• Pays strict attention to details, is organized and good at coordinating a group of people
• An excellent listener with high social intelligence
• Positive, confident and engaging personality, as this is a public-facing position
• BONUS: Not mandatory, but would be great if you have an eye for design, and are good at or open to speaking to large groups.
Event volunteers work alongside other event team members. Training will be provided by team members with the most experience. Our goal is to train you to eventually be autonomous and take a leadership position in this role.
Responsibilities for this role from 8 to 15+ hours per week, depending on if it is a Distributed Saturdays event week or not. These hours include the 5 to 6 hours of the event itself (bi-weekly only), 2 hours of prep and clean-up, and 4 to 6+ hours of planning, logistics and networking. The + hours depend on how many blockchain events you decide you have time to attend.
Volunteers have free access to the co-working space, podcast room, meeting rooms (when available) and its amenities; receive free training to open themselves to future opportunities in a new, developing industry; access to free tickets to conferences (when available). This volunteer position can be customized into an internship which is unpaid. You must coordinate with your school to receive college credit or transcript recognition. Our spring internship starts January 15th and ends April 2nd.
CONTACT Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and/or LinkedIn, and a paragraph about why you feel this is a fit.